Re: LRO: Dynamat

From: RON WARD (ronward@synovustrust.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 21:59:15 EDT

    Good effort! I have the Dynamat all over the floor boards and tranny tunnel and it works great. I'll try under the bonnet. BUT, what if I wrapped the fuel line in Dynamat (aluminum side out, of course)? Now that might be something to think about. Anyone?

    RW

    >>> CCoates@golder.com 04/04/01 21:49 PM >>>
    Hi Ron,

    I put a BJ Acoustics kit into my truck, including under the bonnet. The
    bonnet was the *only* thing that helped at all in that kit. It did not so
    much lower the volume, but it seemed to lower the intensity some. It also
    stopped the paint on the bonnet from discolouring.

    I think that for a proper job, one would have to line the insides of the
    wings and the front of the bulkhead as well to get appreciable sound
    deadening. And, I am unwilling to stick stuff on the bulkhead for fear of
    promoting rot.

    The other sound stuff that worked. PUtting dynamat on the floor panels.
    THis helped quite a bit. The other thing, painting a thick coat of goop on
    the inside panels of the seat box (being careful to keep it away from the
    joints and other fiddly bits).

    There should be lots of room between the bonnet for airflow, I think the
    manifold heat problem was caused by extremely high temperatures in a very
    small area where airflow was not sufficient. If the whole engine bay got to
    that temperature, you would have more than a manifold to worry about ;-)

    As for vapour lock. My weber 34ICH had a tendency to vapour lock on my in
    the summer. The approved fix is to reroute the fuel line away from the
    engine. The Lazy Bugger approach is to wrap the fuel line in aluminum foil.
    My truck went vapor lock-free for 30,000 km with aluminum foil....

    Actually, belay all that. The Dynamat will definitely wreck the truck.
    I'll gladly take that nasty stuff off yur hands, and even pay shipping....

    Clinton