LRO: Re: Re: The Quest for Verisimilitude

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 09:08:43 EDT

    You write: > need to grab letters and packages with your left hand, open the
    mailbox
    > door with your right, shove the stuff into the box with either hand,
    > close the door and move on to the next mailbox, anywhere from 50 feet to
    > a mile away. How complicated can shifting and mail-delivering be?
    >
    > One of the standard rural mail delivery vehicles in the UK has for years
    > been a Land Rover, currently a Defender 90. They mostly use a small
    > panel truck over there, but in Scotland, for example, I've seen a number
    of Defenders
    > used for mail delivery. So it's no big deal. What you describe is
    child's
    > play as far as shifting and sticking mail into a box.<<<

    true the P/office uses a lot of Land Rovers - the only vehicle that CAN
    deliver mail where I live. Locally, the Police, telephone company,
    electricity company, gas company, most local traders etc all use Land
    Rovers.

     However, in the UK we don't have outside mail boxes as a general rule. The
    postman gets out of the vehicle & goes to the back door, walks in, throws
    your mail on the table and asks if the kettle is on! In the village he stops
    at the end of the street and walks 'round pushing the mail through
    letterboxes in front doors.
    A couple of Christmases ago me and some neighbours finished the mail run one
    day while my wife sobered our postwoman up!

    Best Cheers

    Frank
         "(o)======(o)" Bronze Green 110 CSW