Re: LRO: Re: The Quest for Verisimilitude

From: Ivan Van Laningham (ivanlan@pauahtun.org)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 21:03:21 EDT

    Hi All--

    "Faure, Marin" wrote:

    > It wouldn't have, because none were imported by Land Rover
    > or the Rover dealer network. You would have to
    > buy an RHD Series from an individual who happened to have
    > brought one in on his own (a few people did this). In 1973, I
    > paid about $4,500 for my new Series III Model 88. A ten-year
    > old Land Rover would have gone for less than half that back then.

    Well, yes, of course I knew that none were imported by dealers; of
    course she would have to buy one used from an individual. Someone else
    replied to this msg with the price he paid for an RHD, in Chicago, at
    almost exactly the right time. That's useful.

    > >2) What's the MPG on one of these? I'm guessing what a jeep at the
    > time would have got, ie 6-9 MPG. How far off am I?
    >

    > She would put the IIa in a car crusher at the first opportunity. The ideal
    > cruising speed for a Series Land Rover is 45 mph. They will go faster, of
    > course, particularly with an overdrive. But anything over 60 will start dramatically
    > shortening the life and reliability of the components.

    She wouldn't put it in a crusher; it's her only car and it means the
    difference between subsistence living and being a homeowner. It's OK if
    she's perpetually pissed at Miss Gulch.

    > >4) Thankfully, my stick-shift days are over...
    >
    > This is something you're proud of....? :-)

    Some of us know our limitations.

    > >....but my PI wouldn't drive
    > anything but. How fiddly is shifting with a IIA? How tricky to switch
    > from 2wd to 4wd?
    >
    > I described it in my e-mail directly to you, but shifting a Series is no
    > big deal. It's a standard 4-speed pattern with a very short throw despite
    > the long shift lever.

    I don't think I received that email, but that's OK; I now have highly
    detailed, faxed, courtesy of Alan, instructions.

    > One of the standard rural mail delivery vehicles in the UK has for years
    > been a Land Rover, currently a Defender 90. They mostly use a small
    > panel truck over there, but in Scotland, for example, I've seen a number of Defenders
    > used for mail delivery. So it's no big deal. What you describe is child's
    > play as far as shifting and sticking mail into a box.

    Sounds good. Any pictures available online that you know of?

    > >6) Bonus question: smell. What would a 9-10 yr. old IIA smell like?
    >
    > 90-wt hypoid gear oil.

    I kind of like the suggestion offered earlier, of a previous owner
    having smoked a pipe. As a (very recent) ex-pipe-smoker myself, I can
    appreciate the odor of fine black cavendish scraps caught under the
    seats for a decade;-)

    Everyone's been so helpful; thank you all!

    <don't-worry-i'm-still-here-sucking-up-facts>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan;-)
    Ivan Van Laningham
    Symantec
    http://www.pauahtun.org/