LRO: Re: Red lines

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 16:36:58 EDT

    Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:46:09 -0700
    From: Rick Grant <rgrant@cadvision.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: Red lines

    >As such I tend to play conservative and stay well away from the ultimate
    limits. If 4,250 is the max, never exceed, point for my 2.25 then is it
    reasonable to consider 4,000 rpm as the maximum practical day to day
    limit? Or is that too conservative?

    Start your Land Rover, put it in neutral, depress the clutch, and run the
    engine on up to 4,000 rpm and listen to it for a minute. You're only
    250 rpm away from the red line, maximum non-destruct speed, whatever
    you want to call it. As you listen to it, visualize what's going on inside
    what is essentially a tractor engine. Now, if you want to drive around
    all day with the engine doing that, fine. But you will severely shorten
    the life of your engine if you do. The maximum continuous rpm I have
    always used is 3,000. Given the fact that other than a couple of burned
    exhaust valves my engine has performed flawlessly for 28 years, I'd say
    I'm on the right track with my rpm limit. No matter how hard you try, you
    will not get a stock Series to keep up with today's highway traffic without
    eventually destroying the engine. So unless you like working on stuff
    prematurely, get used to driving in the slow lane. It's a hell of a lot cheaper
    in the long run, and you get to spend your weekends doing something interesting
    instead of lying on your back under your vehicle fixing yet another broken
    something.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com