RE: LRO: Re: Thanks for the "laundry tips"

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 12:28:55 EDT

    --- David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com> wrote:
    > :> In the US, lighter fluid comes in blue and yellow squeezee cans
    > and used
    > :> to be carbon tetrachloride. Now, it's "petroleum distillates."

    All my lighter fluid is naptha. Same as coleman fuel, basically super
    low octane gas. Or so I've been told. Great stuff for removing oil
    stains as it doesn't dissolve most plastics. Gets oil paint out of
    carpets, duct tape residue off of car paint, etc etc.

    > In fire extinguishers!? Damn, people are dumb. From the MTDS:
    > Phosgene was the leading gas killer in WWI.

    Yeah, and now we have a nice ban on halon porduction, even though it is
    the best for fighting fires in spaces where you have to like, breathe.
    And despite the fact that when it is used to put out fires it is
    harmless to the environment.

    =====
    They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier.

    David Foster Wallace