Re: LRO: Re: Tractors

From: John Cranfield (john.cranfield@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 08:18:02 EDT

    David Cockey wrote:

    > Some confusion here about different sizes of IH tractors. The Cub Cadets
    > were small, less than 3 ft high a

    > IH built a considerably larger tractor which was popular for large
    > commercial and institutional grass cutting, etc. I think it was called a
    > Cadet. It was maybe 3/4 the size of a small farm tractor, and was also
    > yellow and white.
    >
    > I also have seen small farm tractors by IH, My impression is these date from the
    > '30's until the '60's. I don't recall if they were Cubs or not. All that
    > I've seen were red.
    >
    > Regards,

    > David Cockey

    The Farmall Cub which was red as all Farmalls were had a makeover in the
    early 70s with slighly different tinware,
    a power increase from 9 to 12 hp. and standard hydraulics. It was
    renamed the Cub Cadet and painted yellow and white. This theme was
    continued when IH got into the lawn and garden market and the name
    became a brand. At this time the tractor formerly known as the Cub Cadet
    became the 120. I believe that the 120 was dropped from the line when
    Cub Cadet was sold.
    John and MUddy