Re: LRO: RE: Coil and Flasher

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 00:23:41 EDT

    On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Hope Peter wrote:

    :> I am in need of a new ignition coil and a new flasher unit for a 1961 IIA
    :> 88. Are these items available (under some part number and
    :> manufacturer I'm
    :> sure some one is bound to tell me) from the local NAPA or
    :> Autozone. I don't
    :> really feel like ordering $20 worth of parts from across the country if I
    :> don't have to. Thanks for your input.
    :>
    :> Matthew Kohr
    :
    :
    :Matt, I replaced both the hazard and signal flashers with standard flasher
    :units available from NAPA.

    The signal flashers in my rovers have been 550s, standard three terminal
    thing, thermo-mechanical and everything. Probably used in 25% of the
    vehicles ever built. You can get all-electronic replacements that do
    silly things like continue to flash when one of the bulbs fails. You might
    yank the old one and take it to the FLAPS with you.

    :For the coil, you can use a standard one, but it may cause the points to
    :burn out quicker then normal, I don't know. I had an Accel 60k one in a 66
    :spitfire for over a year without problem.

    The OVLR alternate parts list lists it as a lucas HA 12. If they can't get
    a cross for that, tell 'em you've got an MGB.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.