RE: [LRO: Re: Re: ser3 importers? skytop? Others? ]

From: Matt Peckham (matt@onexchange.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 15:15:19 EDT

    to get back to the original topic, I got my SIII Lightweight from Skytop
    about 18 months ago, and while I had it off the road this winter (roadsalt)
    it's been a fine running Rover, by all the reports I have heard of other's
    vehicles. With little in the way of repairs, I did 6,000 miles last year,
    mainly daily commuting in traffic. and a few longer trips, NY to Boston,
    then to VT and Maine. And it ran like a champ. I have since suffered the
    non LMA blues, leaking brakes, but that will be fixed soon and I will be
    back on the road. I feel the price was fair about 5,500, as I had no time
    to do the search over the pond for my own Rover. I told him what I wanted,
    he sorta pushed me in certain directions (RHD offers a better selection than
    LHD, 24V are a more robust system) and I think they helped. while I can't
    readily find parts from the local suppliers, Skytop has a bunch of spares in
    case anything 24V does go out. and he's pretty good about knowing how to
    diagnose, especially over the phone. I know it's often hard to find the
    ones who are happy with their purchases, as the squeaky wheel gets the oil,
    but I thought i would relay my experiences. He also got me a hoopset and
    tailgate, and some extra mirrors to make my Rover more complete after the
    fact. He tries to please his customers, but some I feel are of the mindset
    that he is a swindler. There is no changing these mindsets, short of
    snipping the liner from his pockets, and even then, you have turned a
    skeptic into a less disgruntled skeptic.

    He has in recent months procured a shop, a mechanic (English no less), and
    has been offering more services for his customers (resprays being one), and
    has even been known to take in the odd Rangie for service, as a Range Rover
    seems to invoke $$$ in mechanic's eyes.

    email me off list if you want more info.

    Matt Peckham
    74 Lightweight.
            _____
     | / \ / \|)