[lro] SIII Fuel gauge problem

From: j-wachtel@comcast.net
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 11:29:03 EST

    hey Folks,

    I need help in diagnosing my problem with the fuel gauge system.

    The gauge has not worked correctly since I bought the vehicle. It

    typically sits somewhere between 3/4 and full. On occasion a good

    road bump will cause it to read normally (or at least read in the

    rest of the range of the fuel gauge). I have never seen it read

    empty while installed. The wire from the sender to the gauge was

    loosely installed and I replaced this recently and dressed the cable

    in such a fashion that road vibration would not wear the insulator

    down, contacts cleaned, connectors soldered, tight fit, dielectric

    greased and shrinkwrapped. When I had the gauge out I could actuate

    the sender arm and it would read empty to full correctly. I did

    this several times and it worked fine, however there is not a linear

    relationship to the position of the arm to the gauge needle, but

    full height of sender arm reads full and bottom of sender arm reads

    empty(seems normal). For the record the temp gauge reads accurately

    which should rule out a fritzy voltage regulator. I place the

    sender back in the tank which is keyed and can only be mounted in

    one of two directions(mounted at 2 O'clock with 12 O'clock towards

    front of vehicle and parallel with frame rail). The tank was 1/4

    full or so by eyeball and read as such on the gauge. I drive for a 40 miles
    and gauge does not move much unless I am on a hill. Stop

    to fill up and I was 1 gallon away from empty! (non linear gauge

    reading I think). I fill up and gauge reads full(good!). However I

    have driven 150miles and it still reads full! I think I have the

    wrong sender for this tank personally and the sender arm is physically lodging itself against the side of the tank.

    Any help appreciated,

    Jason