Re: [lro] I got a new toy too!!

From: MarkoNTL (marko.cosic@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 10:44:36 EDT

> - What are the lowest profile tires I can put on?
> - How can I lower it - I want the sliders 2 inches of the ground?
> - Where can I get chrome bumpers, cross-members, and door latches?
> - How can I get enough amps out of the generator to power a 1000 watts of
> bass?
> - Has anyone tried those neon lights?
>
> I think it would make one rad street cruiser without the canvas :)))

LOL! Seriously though:

You won't get the sills 2" off the ground; even if you remove the springs,
remove the bumpstops, weld the axles to the chassis and run it on the brake
drums it won't be low enough. You'll be needing a custom chassis to get it
that low.

Bumpers/door handles you can get chromed at a plating shop.

Generator - you'll be wanting a modern car alternator, up to 100amp output
(1350W) aren't too difficult to find, can get up to 150amp but these get
expensive. Bolt it to a custom brakcet on the engine and run it to a totally
separate battery and use that just for the audio system. If you get serious,
and are into mega-power and 24V audio, then an ex-military 90 amp 24v radio
generator will be what you want.

Neon lights can look good in the way that "hotshots" films are good; mostly
they look tacky. Have seen a vid clip of a Citroen CX with under-car neons
and fog-machine, which did look so tacky as to look good - with its
hydrualic suspension the citroens would be sitting on the floor until you
started up the engine, at which point they'd slowly rise. The under-car
neons and fog as the car rose up from the ground did look quite good in a
filmset kind of way. :)

Your best bet (IMO) would be to build a custom chassis/spaceframe 2" from
the ground, hang the Land-Rover axles from that, still on origonal springs,
then try to fit the bodywork around it so as it looked like a fairly
standard Land-Rover from the outside. A Ragne-Rover diff in the back axle
(higher ratio) to try compensate for stupidly small wheels, then any old US
V8 and slushbox up front driving the rear wheels only, and all rotating
internals removed from the front axle, with blanking plates/sheets behind
stub-axles and wheelbearings packed with grease. Going to RWD only and a
custom chassis would allow a "flat-bottom" rather than the underhanging
crossmsmbers you usually find on a Land-Rover, to get you to that 2" from
the ground. As you can see; you'd probably be just as well off selling the
Land-Rover; and making up a custom chassis/frame/drivetrain to get it to the
height desired; then either bolting on some Land-Rover panels or some
"Land-Rover lookalike" panels to give it the outward apperance of a landie
hot-rod!