[lro] U-joint buggery solved

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 02:26:04 EDT

    Fixed my frozen u-joint.

    $10 to the local driveline place.

    For a day or two, I was driving around in FWD, with the x-fre case locked.

    Every time I'd start off or shift, I'd hear some extra clonk. Didn't think
    much of it. Figured it was just another side effect of not having a rear
    propshaft attached.

    At the last stop light before the driveline place, I turn to the right, hear
    a loud clang and look out the window to see my handbrake drum rolling into
    the intersection... So I pull over, yank up on the handbrake lever and
    promptly roll into the car parked ahead of me. Hehehe. Duh. So I back up and
    leave it in gear so I can retrieve the errant drum.

    I reach down to pick it up and sear my fingers. Yeow that's hot! Sheesh.
    Three plies of Bounty kitchen towels helps after the fact. It was really
    hot. I now have some nice gear-lube-glazed fingerprints, you know, the
    shiny-just-touched-mom's-hot-iron kind of fingertips.

    The scorching handbrake drum must mean it is dragging a wee bit, right? How
    hot would a non-contacting e-brake get? The rest of the underbody was normal
    LR temperatures.

    Anyway, I thought the grub screw would hold the drum on while the shaft was
    off. I guessed wrong. Lost the screw in the process of driving around. Now
    the shaft is all that holds it on.

    Oh well. Another experience...

    --pat.