[lro] re-Acquaintance

From: Murphy, Kevin (kmurphy@icgcommerce.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 17:12:00 EDT

    Hey all,

    Just a simple email and my rover story to introduce myself (again)... No
    questions (in this post) - so feel free to hit the delete button now.

    I bought a 67 SIIA 88" about 7 yrs ago. After 6 months as my daily driver,
    it was quite apparent I paid way too much for it. The engine needed a
    serious overhaul and while the frame was galvanized, the firewall was holier
    than the pope. So, w/ the help of a friend and this mailing list, I began
    the restoration. After about 6 months, the engine was rebuilt and the rover
    was in pieces. My friend, meanwhile, moved off w/ my wife (another story)
    and I was left to put it (among other things) back together.

    Needless to say, the poor rover sat in many pieces for a few years. I came
    the conclusion rather quickly, that I didn't possess the skill, money, or
    knowledge to do the restoration justice - even with the help of this list.
    I had named the rover "Market" so I could swap stories with friends about
    how I, too, had lost a lot of money in the market over the past few years.
    Needless to say, I didn't have the heart to sell it as parts or give it
    away. So, after moving a few more times (towing the rover each time in a
    hundred pieces), I finally saved up enough cash (or rather interest rates
    dropped low enough on credit cards) to where I could afford to have the
    professionals do it.

    I towed it up to the 4x4 Center in VT and they had it for about six months.
    They did a great job of working within my budget. Unfortunately, a lot of
    the work I/ we had done previously needed to be redone. This hurt my budget
    and left me short on completing some of the things I wanted done (mostly on
    the cosmetic side).

    That's about it. I just bought some used 16" rims (any recommendations on
    tires are greatly appreciated) and am contemplating a roverdrive or ashcroft
    transfer case for improved speed and efficiency. I'd be willing to sell it
    now if the price were right, but I imagine I'll be having too much fun with
    it at the beach this summer.

    I look forward to asking you all questions as they arise and maybe, just
    maybe, I might be able to help someone else out myself.

    Take care,

    Kevin
    '67 SIIA
    '97 Disco