[lro] ebrakes

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 08:49:23 EDT

    >> I would love to improve that weak excuse of a brake on the back of my
    >> transfer box.
    > Fix it!!
    > When in good condition the series transmission brake is extremely
    > effective.

    I agree completely with John. A good condition properly adjusted hand
    brake works quite well and has been instrumental in The Green Rover's
    survival when the brake system failed because of a rust through hole in
    the steel line and when The Green Rover's 4 cyl. engine just could not
    pull to the top of a steep incline (109 hydraulic brakes don't work all
    that well on a steep nose up attitude). They are worth keeping in good
    condition.

    Which brings me to a question:

    Defender ebrakes evidently have a warning lamp to let you know it is
    engaged. Does anyone know what they use for a switch assembly? I'm
    sometimes forgetful and with the V8 the first I notice the brake is on
    is the smell and smoke.

    I could jerry rig a switch & stop but I prefer to use off the shelf
    Land Rover parts whenever I find something that works as well as I
    would like it.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
          Marigold Ltd.
          www.marigoldltd.com