Re: [lro] Hi/Lo beams

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 23:45:55 EDT

    > > To start let me say that my truck was long since modified by the time I
    >got
    >> it. Now in trying to re-wire the beast I am coming to some rather
    >important
    >> decisions. For instance, on the old system there was no dipper switch for
    >> high and low beams. There was a military rotator switch to control how
    >many
    >> lights were on (breakfast, wing, front aux., etc.), and a three position
    >> toggle to control high beams. The first position was off so only low
    >beams
    >> were lit. The second position lit the inner high beams, and the third lit
    >> the outer. Any of you that know the typical scenario will recognize that
    >> this leaves ALL the filaments burning, high and low on all four
    >headlights!
    >> That's a huge draw on the electrical system. My electrically non-inclined
    >> brain can't see a way to reproduce a dipper style switch using relays and
    >> standard toggles. Is it possible? Though I like the immense light the
    >old
    >> system threw out, my delco couldn't keep up. Even now with a high output
    >> unit I don't want a constant heavy load like that being imposed. Any help
    >> in general with the wiring would be appreciated. Currently the wiring
    >> diagram is being 'muddled' together.
    >
    >The trick is to use the automotive relay to its fullest extent. The relay
    >has two output pins. One is Normally Closed (NC) the other is Normally Open
    >(NO). You run the headlight low off the NC side, hitting the foot switch
    >switches the relay, the NC becomes dud and the NO power up you high beams.
    >Simple, easy. Of course you need another relay upstream of this contraption
    >to shut power off to the low beam (and consequently disable the high beam as
    >well).

    Not all relays have both outputs. They're easy enough to buy new,
    but if you're like me, and don't buy these things, they're a bit
    harder to come by. What you can do with a pair of normal NO output
    relays up to a normal dip switch. The dip switch has one input and
    two outputs. The input is obvious, connect one output to a relay to
    control the low beams, the other to a relay for high beams. Size
    appropriately if you're going to control all four bulbs from one
    switch.