[lro] Supercharged Bugattis (was Overbore 2.25)

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 23:41:36 EST

    From: "ynotink" <ynotink@qwest.net>
    To: lro@koan.team.net
    Subject: Re: [lro] Re: Overbore 2.25?

    >W. O. and EB lived in a time before supercharging was really understood and
    feared they would cause damage to their engines. And at the time they were
    right. The most famous Bentley was the Blower version of the 4 1/4 liter. It
    was famous, but not successful, not holding together in competition. Bugatti
    not only distrusted the devices, but objected on aesthetic grounds. Each of
    his cars was a work of art.

    The Bugatti Type 43 had a straight-eight, 2.3 litre engine and was
    supercharged with a Roots blower at 8 psi. The Bugatti Type 55 had a 2.3
    litre engine and a slightly larger supercharger than the Type 43- it blew
    at 10 psi. The Bugatti Type 57SC was supercharged. The Type 59 had a 3.3
    supercharged engine. Not all of Bugatti's cars had supercharging, but a
    fair number of them did, particularly the racing models. He seemed to have
    no problem using supercharging, even if it's true that he didn't trust it,
    although I've so far not read anything about the man or his cars that
    states this.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88