Re: [lro] Normal road speeds?

From: Kirk Hillman (hillman88@telus.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 22:21:40 EST

    When I got my LR it didn't feel like I was going very fast, even for what I
    thought should be a slow vehicle. Then I thought about the 15" vs. 16" rim
    thing. My 88" came with 235/85r16's (roughly 7.5 x 16). At ~31" high the
    thinking was that the speedo must be out by at least 15%. So the thinking
    continued that when I was travelling at what read as 100kph I was actually
    doing 115kph. That wasn't so bad thought I. I could live with that. The
    problem was that everyone seemed to pass me at high rates of velocity. Then
    I discovered the kind fellows that built my truck swapped the speedo out
    when they changed the wheels. Bummer. So it may actually be true that you
    are going that slow. The real question should be why is that as fast as you
    can go? Even the little 2.25 can propel a LR up to 55mph around here
    without problem. Closer to sea level it was easily 65mph on the flats. It
    takes days to get there, but it will do it. So if your speedo is anywhere
    near accurate and you are only doing 30-40mph, there is a real problem
    somewhere. I suspect it's not just brakes because the drag would be quite
    noticeable all the time. I -could- go into many likely power loss
    potentials that apply to any gasoline engine, but I am no expert and there
    are others here far more qualified. Just remember you need three sides of
    the burn triangle, fuel, air and spark. You need to ensure all are
    functioning properly...

    Kirk