Re: [lro] soda blasting

From: Rich Williams (lndrvr1@nwlink.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 11:31:12 EST

    The blasting outfit I have used in the past was doing this as well as
    (walnut?) shell blasting some time ago but no longer. They felt that it was
    not as effective and too problematic in the long run. They are using
    various grades of "sand" which I am guessing is garnet as well as some
    synthetic "sand" which is completely inert of course. You might think that
    "not as effective" means that it is more gentle and therefore good - well
    the fact is that some of the synthetic media that they use as well as the
    gorilla's technique when blasting is gentle enough to blast the bonnets of
    1950's vintage Jaguar XKs without any damage whatsoever (these are AL btw).
    They used the same stuff when they blasted my bulkhead and I didn't have any
    trouble with warping or any of the other problems you hear floated about on
    the internet.

    But that's just been my experience.

    Rich