[lro] T-Piece removal

From: Simon Harding (sjharding@schulte-law.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 10:59:05 EST

    I have a client in a few minutes so pardon me if this is too brief or
    cryptic. I'll be glad to follow - up later. I did this last August, so my
    memories are a little foggy. I had the roof and roofsides off. The tub was
    on. I would recommend removing the roof and roofsides for access to the
    rivets mentioned. Fialing to do so will make the job tougher. Not sure if
    it would be impossible though. I think you should drill the rivets out -
    esp. on the small panels just rear of the angled bit of the doors to
    minimize possible paint damage - perhaps not an issue for you. I used to
    chisel, but after tearing one or two rivet holes, I've gone to drilling them
    out. Unbolt as mentioned. Use sawzawl on the two bolts at the forward end
    of the T pices where they bolt to the bracket at the bulkhead, as they will
    be rusted to beat hell and wrench access is a PITA without a slim wrench or
    maybe its a thin walled socket? can't recall. Just remmeber it was not
    fun. Order new stud plates from supplier. At the rear, there is a bracket
    that goes between the T piece and the frame outriggger, making removal a bit
    easier. Once all is loose (oh, of course, the first thing you did was
    remove the fold down steps if any, and the sills, and unbolt at the floors,
    etc....), then you pull outward at the forward end, and I think downward
    slightly, and wriggle them out from the edges of the tub. I managed this
    job alone, with instructions from Timm Cooper that consisted of undo it and
    then pull outward on teh front end and down(or up) and it'll come loose of
    the tub. My specific question to him was whether or not I needed to remove
    the tub first because I was alone on the night I was doing the job, and
    planned tub removal for teh next night. Did both of the T pieces in an
    evening, though sills and side steps and roof were already off. Don't
    overlook bolts at the seat box/and the T of the T piece.

    Drop me a line if you need more info. The only biatch of this job is the
    forward securing bolts, at the BH.

    hope this helped

    Simon