[lro] Rhino-lining a SIII CSW - floor hardware and name calling

From: Simon Harding (sjharding@schulte-law.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 12:01:24 EST

    Surprise! Floor hardware is why I recommended removing the front floors
    before rhino lining them. ("Alan's a good reader, he just needs to apply
    himself") If the floors are out, then by definition there is no hardware
    (are you with me?). I also mentioned stripping all the cappings and other
    hardware. This is (gasp!) what I *actually did* (versus posting what I
    thought or what a friend said or what I read on the web).

    Bedding the hardware onto a layer of the stuff is no problem provided you
    use your head and spec a fairly thin layer of bedliner on the floors and
    tranny tunnel and other areas where there will be hardware. I mean, like
    I've said before, they are land rovers, not freaking space shuttles. Like
    anything else, you need to think for yourself before you apply the stuff or
    have it applied. I applied it over no hardware except the odd rivet or two
    in the rear tub floor. Everything else is removed. As Pat said, the
    application of the stuff is often quite thin unless purposely built up -
    whether you pay someone to do it or go DIY. You can ask that it be applied
    thinner where you want and thicker where you want. And where you typically
    want it thick is the bed floor and tire well sides - areas with little to no
    hardware. If by chance, the monkey that applies it puts it on too thick on
    the floor panels, you have them make it right, or *use longer hardware* when
    putting the floors back in.

    Alan, I am not sure what "camp" you are talking about. I simply posted my
    very recent experience - from last weekend, and the prevous month or two
    with the underside of the tub. I don't really care about whatever debate
    you want to engage in. I was just trying to be helpful by posting my
    experience. I suppose I could ask what your *actual experience* is with
    the stuff but I don't really care enough to ask. I agree with not bedlining
    a resto or even a nice beat old SIIA. For that matter, a nice SIII. Todd
    asked about bedlining a rover. He did not ask for opinions from those
    opposed to doing so. Apparently my attempt at humor roused you?

    You are wrong about "permanently screwing yourself" out of a way to
    repair/remove the floors. Have you actually experienced this? In my post I
    mentioned how the stuff is easily removed - at least the stuff I *actually*
    had experience with (as I noted in my post). A drill and a $8.49 3-M paint
    removal wheel and shazam, its off. Further, the point of applying the
    stuff, in my *actual* experience, is to avoid the type of corrosion that led
    me to apply the stuff, to damp noise a bit, and make the bed and floors a
    bit more durable and non-slip. I imagine by the time the rover needs
    similar repairs it will have been crashed and melted down into at least two
    hyundais, legislated off the highways, or I will have sold it due to
    changing interests and/or the need to pay for my nursing home. If one is
    smart, the hardware was out when the stuff was applied, it was applied
    thinly where appropriate, etc, etc...(insert more about thinking for oneself
    here). When I went to remove my floors the first time, I had to grind the
    heads off every single screw and bolt without bedliner. They were all
    rust - welded in place. Bedliner would have made no difference.

    I wish you had not lowered yourself to name calling. But I suppose it is
    easy to do over the ether. You've really, really hurt my feelings. I am
    like a sad clown, crying inside because now I know you think I am a twit. I
    think I'll go home and curl up on the sofa with a self -improvement book and
    a nice mint-hazel nut flavored instant mocha. (insert definition of sarcasm
    here).

     I thought my comment was quite mild especially when measured against the
    string of incredibly bad and strained electricity puns presently clogging
    this list. (Now I'll have a whole bunch of you calling me a twit).

    Yawn.

    Simon "I belong to the do what you want with your rover because it belongs
    to you camp and I've been called a lot worse by people I actually know and
    who unlike AJR were correct" Harding