[lro] Snap crackle pop.

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 00:41:13 EST

    There goes the halfshaft. Again.

    I really shouldn't complain. I knew 900R16s and vampiresque tire chains
    would do me in eventually, but I was hoping not tonight. Especially in
    crotch deep snow. The TJ that was accompanying me and the rover played jump
    rope with a strap, and we finally ended up at the road. Fun.

    Things I learned during this trail ride.

    - John Cranfield was right - electric winches can pull. Since a change to
    2/0 cabling and an Optima battery, my old Warn pulls unbelieveably. I was
    pushing enough powder to competely hide the front of the truck, I could see
    the snow over the hood and yet I was still moving forward. The doors would
    not open due to the snow accumulation, all there was was a cable sticking
    out of a snowbank that was slowly moving somehow.

    - Chains on a series truck make for a nasty animal. I had a blast pulling
    everyone and everything out of the white stuff, but the rear axle was
    hopping like mad and bouncing for traction. I wonder why it blew.

    So, the question isn't how do I fix/upgrade this - I know that. The question
    is - does anyone on this list care? I can post updates on how I build a
    rover bolt pattern, 62"wide Dana 60/70 replacement for a range rover axle,
    or I can remain silent. If anyone would benefit from the info, I'll post a
    few notes. If it's getting too far from series-dom, I'll stay silent.

    Off to go hunting tomorrow. Gotta bag me an axle.

    J-L