[lro] Whining gearbox

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 12:04:34 EST

    Bill. I assume you are running the box without the floor in place, thus
    the box will make noises that you would not normally hear. The nature of
    the box is such that it will not run quiet anyway. By the way, again I
    assume that you have put oil in it. The 1st and reverse gears are
    straight cut and will be noisy, even when in good condition. The rest of
    the gears are helical and will run "quieter" than first. Given the
    number of gear trains in the box, some working and some idling, and the
    wear on the teeth, some 'whirring" noises are normal. If there are any
    distinct 'ticking" noises that can be related to a particular gear, then
    by all means investigate. Using a stethoscope, or even a screwdriver to
    listen to different areas of the box may enable you to pin point the
    source.

    Regards
     Bill Leacock