Re: [lro] max towing weights

From: Jeff Bieler (mrbieler@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 19:08:01 EST

    We're kinda in the same boat (1 kid and 1 about to get started...)
    I tried to tell my wife we could sell her Disco and get Mark Pilkingtons
    Dormobile, but she shot me down. She said one rattle truck in the family
    was enough... :-)

    We still might do the teardrop and put the kids(s) in a tent outside.

    Jeff

    on 3/1/03 3:51 PM, Todd Vess at toddvess@comcast.net wrote:

    > Jeff,
    >
    > Unfortunately, we have three kids, so the teardrop is out of the picture,
    > though I'd love one. However, I think my dad is going to build one that
    > maybe my wife and I can borrow if we leave the kids with the grandparents
    > and want to take the Mini out for a camping trip!
    >
    > Todd
    >
    >> From: Jeff Bieler <mrbieler@earthlink.net>
    >> Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 12:48:51 -0800
    >> To: lro@koan.team.net
    >> Subject: Re: [lro] max towing weights
    >>

    >> My neighbor is building a replica of the old teardrop trailers. They are
    >> quite light. I think that the "dry" weight will be under 800 lbs. It holds
    >> a twin bed (sleeps two), water tank, propane stove, etc. I know that a VW
    >> bug will tow one. I think they average about 200 hours to build in kit
    >> form.
    >>
    >> It looks cool too.
    >>
    >> Just an idea.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> on 3/1/03 12:29 PM, Todd Vess at toddvess@comcast.net wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm looking at possibly purchasing a vintage camping trailer to tow behind
    >>> my 1972 109" 6 cyl (euro) CSW. Unfortunately, vintage trailers seem quite
    >>> heavy, as the 1974 Airstream I'm looking into is 3,700 lbs, empty. What's a
    >>> "safe" trailer weight for this vehicle. I know there's no definite answer,
    >>> but would like some input from the group.
    >>>
    >>> Todd Vess
    >>> Windsor, Colo.
    >>> 1990 Range Rover
    >>> 1993 EuroVan