[lro] Good news and bad news

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 14:48:32 EST

    Good news is I got my tranny in the truck today. I tested it as soon as
    it was in place, without hooking up the propshafts or anything.

    Bad news is that it's making a weird noise. Not a REALLY bad noise, but
    a definite whining in everything (including neutral) except 4th gear.

    What's been done to it since it was last in the truck: new mainshaft,
    new primary pinion bearing, new primary pinion/mainshaft bearing, new
    front layshaft bearing, new rear layshaft bearing and race, new 2/3 gear
    bush.

    Seems to me that it's whining when there's load on the layshaft, but
    isn't the load on the layshaft in N and 4 about the same?

    So, two questions:
    1) What's wrong? Just an issue of gear run-out or something more
    serious? I've had layshaft bearings go and this doesn't sound like that.
    . .
    2) Should I button everything up and drive it?