[lro] Re: go for miles, and miles, and...

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 23:23:13 EST

    From: brian girasoli <fustogrande@yahoo.com>
    To: LRO@koan.team.net
    Subject: [lro] go for miles, and miles, and...

    >Among
    other things, i asked him about the mileage, which
    shows 95,375. turns out, he said it's 295,375, one
    engine, one transmission.
    my question to all of you is...what's the longest
    you've seen a rover engine go?

    I would sure be surprised to see a 2.25 petrol engine go much beyond
    125,000 miles before needing at least a valve job. Valves seem to burn by
    then, if not sooner. Now if the engine is overhauled when it needs it, I
    suppose it could go on indefinitely. But to go almost 300,000 miles with
    no major work needed- if that's what the previous owner is claiming- is
    something I would be very skeptical of.

    But based on my experience and the experience of the Land Rover parts
    suppliers and mechanics I knew back in the 1970s and 80s, 125,000 miles is
    at the top end of the "no work needed" envelope. I'm sure there are
    engines that have gone farther, but probably not many, and probably not
    that much farther before at least needing a valve job.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE