[lro] Re: Unleaded heads

From: Alden John (JAlden@spaceimaging.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 13:02:34 EST

    Exactly how destructive is running unleaded fuel in a 6-cyl (Euro) that
    has not been converted to the proper head? I can purchase leaded fuel
    at a "farm" gas station 5 miles from where I live -- and I plan on
    doing that, but what about when we take the CSW on vacation? I was just
    figuring on carrying extra bottles of lead substitue for when I fill up
    out of town. Think I'll be OK, as the daily driving will be on leaded
    fuel, or would it behove me to just do the conversion?

    Todd Vess
    Windsor, Colo.

    Hi Todd, I have been running mid grade unleaded for three years in
    Mehetabel with no know problems. My understanding is that the valves would
    eventually receed and the rebuild will be necessary but years down the line.
    The process is slowed by using higher octane gases which is why I use the
    mid -grade (if I were at sea level I would use high but my feeling is that
    the high octane is a waste in that engine at altitude).
    Can't wait to "meet" Annie and Effie
    Cheers
    John, Mehetabel, & Priscilla
    '73 109" 6 cyl County Land Rover
    '03 Mini Cooper S BRG with Checkerboard Roof

    message and its attachments and notify Space Imaging immediately.