[lro] From the NYTimes

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 02:06:24 EST

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/21/automobiles/21SUV.html

    "Some 75 drivers of Hummers, Land Rovers and four-wheel-drive trucks kept
    Georgetown University Hospital staffed on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, after
    Washington-area hospitals ran announcements on television soliciting
    drivers. An army of 60 forged choked back roads and unplowed cul-de-sacs for
    Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, Md. And hundreds more hit roadways
    unnavigable by ordinary cars in suburban Virginia and up the East Coast
    through Baltimore and Philadelphia.

    Glen Cardelino, who manages a Hummer dealership in Greenbelt, Md., and
    drives a top-of-the-line Hummer H1, found sweet vindication along with the
    satisfaction of helping out. His vehicle may get 14 miles to a gallon of
    gasoline, but, he said, "We were there when you needed us."

    He has 30 inches of road clearance on his Hummer, and he drove all day
    Monday for Montgomery General Hospital in Olney, Md., delighted to exercise
    the rugged capabilities of his warrior wheels. "The Hummer was just like a
    snowmobile," he said. "I was driving back three-quarters of a mile off the
    main roads on streets that hadn't been touched" in two feet of snow. "

    Sure. 30" of road clearance...

    14 MPG. Yeah, right.

    ;-)

    --pat.