[lro] Nut's and bolts

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 11:07:18 EST

    Steve Rochna" <mns@oasisol.com> wrote:

    >I prefer to use odd sizes and put at least one metric in each job - just
    >like at the factory. I feel the vehicle is more 'original' this way. My
    >SIII is a 1972 and has whitworth, metric and SAE at random all over it.

    I'm afraid all of the metric bits on your '72 are SPOTs. There is a grand
    total of ONE true metric bolt on the early Series IIIs. Of course, there
    are a bunch of UNF, SAE, BSP and BSF fittings.... You just *know* there
    had to be a fastener guild at Solihull....

    >When did the UK go metric?

    I'm not sure they ever did. Even on the '96 Disco, I've encountered a fair
    number of plain, ol' standard SAE nuts and bolts...plus TORX and non-metric
    'star' or Posidrive fasteners thrown in for grins....

    Cheers