Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 23:54:03 EST

It used to belong to Jim Raglund, commonly called
Rags, who has a Mercedes Repair club. Just saw that
car yesterday when I picked up my TD. I'm not sure
what the arrangement is with that car. Rag's said he
sold it but it's always around his shop and he drives
it all over. Rag's builds them on special order and,
in fact, is doing one now on a 300td chassis. They
are patterned after old tourist vehicles called
'Sampans'. The originals were built on the old style
separate fender cars that were common just before and
after WWII. Since rust is an ever present problem
here, it was a way to extend the life of a vehicle.
There is one of the originals built on an old
Plymouth, I bevlieve, up in Kealakekua. It's usually
parked on the highway at an antique/collectable store
up there. The weather protection and air conditioning
are perfect for our benign climate.

Aloha
Peter O.

--- Patrick Parsons <patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com>