[lro] Engine Heaters

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 15:25:35 EST

    Bradley_Harris@aigag.com wrote:

    >I'll shoot this question to the list before the debate on availability of
    >pre-heaters in the US has died down. I'm looking at installing an engine
    >heater of some kind in the diesel repower I am performing. Since the engine
    >is on the stand and the wiring has not been finished, this would be the
    >time to do it. I don't live in a very cold climate (Tennessee, USA) but I
    >never know where I may be in a few years. I know absolutely nothing about
    >block heaters or anything involving them. I have a threaded tap in the
    >block for one. I am looking for comments on brand, type, wiring, etc..

    The only ones you need to concern yourself with are ones that are installed
    inside the engine water jacket. All others are too
    inefficient/fragile/dangerous to bother with.

    That said, Rovers North currently has some on sale, with one that installs
    in one of the knock-outs (AKA 'freeze plugs') for about $32. The only
    thing wrong with this type is that it is a friction fit, and I would think
    that after x number of heating cycles, the fit would loosen...with a
    possible sudden, catastrophic loss of coolant.

    Much better is one that installs in the threaded plug. (What was this for
    on the 2.25?? The engine designers *couldn't* have been thinking 'block
    heaters', could they?) On the 2.25, it is a 1" NPT port, so anything of
    that dimension will fit. For overnight warming, 400 watts is plenty, even
    down to -35F if you have an engine muff. For quicker warm-up, like, just
    in the morning, you'll need something higher, but slow is best in this
    case: the element is liable to last longer. Phillips/Budd (maker of
    big-rig diesel parts) is one supplier. Part #227-4148. For a V-8, again a
    larger wattage unit would be needed.

    I've also installed a 50 watt battery heater and a 2 amp trickle charger.
    All three appliances plug into the same pig-tail, so I have one cord
    hanging out the grille. The last time I was in -25F, I was the first
    (OK...*only*) vehicle to get moving the next morning.

    Cheers