[lro] Coil Axles under a Leafer

From: Peter Hope (peterhope@charter.net)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 13:09:32 EST

    > Are you going sprung over or under as you were before? In both cases the
    > drag link and track rod end up being a pain. I'll dig up some pics for
    you.

    I dont know yet. I am even considering coils. But I am very interested in
    seeing how others have handled the ties rods.
    The front axle is frm a RHD and I am getting the other swivel from a LHD, so
    I will have twin arms on both sides. I really do not like the way the new
    swivels are only 2 bolts for the king pin. The series style with the four
    bolts would make it so easy to make up my own arms that fit atop the swivel
    housing.

    > 4.10s, D300, AA overdrive, 4 speed, 6.2. What are you trying to do - break
    > the sound barrier ??? Seriously, that's going to be a very cool truck.
    Kudos
    > to you. 100 mph+? ;-) I need pics and more info on these axles, I know
    they
    > are available, but I've yet to see a front for under 500 pounds in the UK.
    > I'm told that the outers are the same as the regular 110 front diff, all
    > that is subtantially stronger is the differential, gears, etc. Where did
    you
    > get them? How much?

    With the 3.15 low range in the t-case, the 4.7 gearing was just too low. I
    dont do any rock crawling, I found myself using 1 hi or 4 low. It was just
    too low for the driving I do. Plus the fuel consumption was around 20mpg.
    So ealry last fall I put a 3.54 R&P into the rear sals and a rangy center in
    the front. Thre truck is too fast now. It will do 85 no problem....well
    the engine will get you there, but holy crap its kinda scarey. I have had
    the truck up to 95 (using GPS) and still had a long way to go on the
    throttle. A series truck on super squishey springs, suspension lift and 35"
    tires just aint meant to drive that fast. Off road it does great. 1-lo is
    still way lower then a stock series vehicle. Fuel consumption is 25-26mpg.
    I want to go to the 4.1s because I feel it will best suit my needs with the
    vehicle.
    The center section and inner shafts are dana 60, the outer section, swivels,
    brakes etc are all standard 110 stuff.
    I am also getting a rear coil housing and shafts so the front and rear are
    the same width. I am paying 1200 for the front from the UK, includes
    shipping to WA. I think its coming from Paddocks, but I could be wrong. I
    am part of a group of people getting axles and stuff,
    I am going to be getting arb carriers front and rear. The 4.1s will come
    from Randy's R&P. Since the guts are all new, I will have a complete leafer
    rear for sale. All new bearings, seals, and brakes.