Re: [lro] Paging Pete Hope

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 11:56:09 EST

    > BTW...J-L I need some photos of your front suspension. Really interested
    > in how you did the steering coiler-leafer set up.

    Are you going sprung over or under as you were before? In both cases the
    drag link and track rod end up being a pain. I'll dig up some pics for you.
    Mine is sprung over and I had to build a custom steering arm which affixed
    to the top of the swivel housing, and ties in to the steering stop bolt, the
    caliper mounts and the top pin bolts. It's doable for sure, but it can be a
    pain.

    Next I'm getting a RHD swivel housing and mounting the tie rod in front of
    the axle, under the drag link. The tie rod will mount to the opposite
    LHD/RHD drag link mounting points. I checked the geometry quicly and the
    ackerman steering geo seems to be pretty darn close. I'm pretty sure it's
    not going to be a really big deal, LR didn't bother to change anything to do
    with the steering geo, from the shorty 90 to the 130. Changes in wheelbase
    affect this geometry, but they never compensated for it. With the track rod
    and drag link mounted so high up and in front of the axle they are less
    prone to the very low coiler track rod being damaged. If I were you I'd get
    a RHD swivel housing (or LHD in your case) and simply rig the steering like
    regular straight axle truck - Track rod and draglink in front of the axle.
    Is this clear enough?

    > I have acquired front and rear salisburys from a 110. Building them with
    > 4.1 gears and air lockers. Not exactly sure how exactly to get the
    steering
    > correct.

    4.10s, D300, AA overdrive, 4 speed, 6.2. What are you trying to do - break
    the sound barrier ??? Seriously, that's going to be a very cool truck. Kudos
    to you. 100 mph+? ;-) I need pics and more info on these axles, I know they
    are available, but I've yet to see a front for under 500 pounds in the UK.
    I'm told that the outers are the same as the regular 110 front diff, all
    that is subtantially stronger is the differential, gears, etc. Where did you
    get them? How much?

    BTW, I think I've FINALLY decided on a suitable repower motor for the 109.
    Hint - It's green, and not a detroit diesel ;-)

    J-L