[lro] Tdi engine life?

From: Tim McDowell (tim.mcd@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 18:06:43 EST

    Hi every body,

    I?m back after a long absence. After preparing my Defender 90 for a Morocco
    trip in 98 (new cambelt, cam seals, steering box, main gearbox and t/box
    bearings) it behaved itself so well for 40k that I left the list. I think
    I got away with new tires and a hub seal since 99.

    Now the maintenance cycle has turned, and it needs attention: another
    steering
    box, and bulkhead welding.

    Biggest change is that I?m getting married, and LR ownership is getting
    challenged?

    The big deal for me is: how long can I expect my engine to last?

    My Tdi has 106k, and doesn?t appear to burn oil. It has had oil changes
    at 5-6k, using semi-sythentic disel oil to D5 spec (the highest diesel
    passenger
    car spec I know of).

    How many miles do other Tdi owners have before rebuild?

    Regards,

    Tim McD