Re: [lro] Defender Axels - is it ok to weld the exel andthedive flange

From: Paul Oxley (paul@adventures.co.za)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 01:41:45 EST

    On 30 Jan 2003 at 13:15, Gbrovers@aol.com wrote:

    > A quick comment on welding flanges to axles. Personally I wouldn't do it
    > unless I had an axle/flange combo that had excessive wear and I was just
    > trying to bodge back together as a temporary fix. The problem with welding
    > heat treated parts together is that you effect the heat treatment on the
    > existing parts and now you have a weld that is totally different hardness.
    > This creates serious stress risers and this is where the stress cracks will
    > eventually develop and hence this is the point where the axle will eventually
    > fail.

    Sorry, Bill, but nonsense! The parts are immobilised. All you are preventing is the couple of
    thou of movement between the splines. The welded joint takes no other stress at all.

    It's sooo easy! You pop the caps off (in situ, mind you - to preserve perfect alignment with
    the diff-side splines), bevel the end of the sideshaft where it protrudes,you pre-heat with a
    blowtorch, tackweld around the circumference by rotating the jacked up wheel, then run a
    nice seam all around. Dress it off and paint.

    As a matter of fact I've just got finished with a major centre diff and rear diff carrier rebuild on
    my 84 110 (we went on a clonk search, and this is the only drivetrain clonk left), and will be
    doing the above later this morning. I do not know of a welded drive flange/sideshaft combo
    that has ever failed.

    OTOH I dress my front brake disks with an angle grinder with the vehicle jacked up and the
    engine running in 4th gear =8-{O}

    Regards

    Paul Oxley
    AfricanAdrenalin.com

    IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
    addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
    confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with
    low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If
    you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or
    copying of this email is not authorised (either explicitly or
    implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.