[lro] Still Birma-bashing

From: Todd Schlemmer (nullman@centurytel.net)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 16:01:30 EST

    I want to thank Mr. Scheidt for the tech-tips on shrinking stretched spots
    on Birmy panels and the advice about working OFF the dolly. I got an hour
    or so in the garage this A.M. and I am very happy with the progress using
    these new techniques. It's tempting to get very fussy, but I will try to
    restrain myself. Certainly beats the old brick and rock technique.

    FWIW, once you resign yourself to touching up the paint, the old paint makes
    a handy temp indicator too - Bubbles and turns black before the aluminum.

    Also - I bought a product called "AlumiWeld" a couple of years ago with an
    eye to using it mend LR bodywork. Basically, it is a stick of
    aluminum/magnesium solder. http://virtual-adnet.com/alumiweld/ I vaguely
    remember a thread some time ago - RN? LRO? where a person was counselled not
    to use it. Drat! thought I. Well - Finally, I did. I have a small tear at
    the edge of the fender, in the rear qtr panel, that I wanted to both
    strengthen and disguise. Cleaned it up and used the propane torch to heat
    it up. Made a goopy mess on the tear - but I can file it down. I whacked
    it a few times with a hammer - didn't separate. I'll keep you posted - I
    have some misc holes that I'd like to fill - certainly a more attractive
    solution than bondo or plugs.

    Todd Schlemmer
    Vashon Island, WA
    www.ozedeph.com