Re: [lro] Colour match for wheels and Birmabright unbending...

From: ynotink (ynotink@qwest.net)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 00:54:53 EST

    Since I see you have had quite a primer on straightening birmabrite I won't go
    into that, but just thought I would mention another method of annealing. The old
    Irish panel beater who worked on the shrouds on my Healey would use an
    oxy-acetylene torch with just acetylene burning to coat the metal with soot. When
    he had a heavy coating he would turn on the oxygen and heat the surface gently
    until the soot disappeared. The metal was then soft and easily deformed.

    Bill Lawrence