Re: [lro] Defender Axels - is it ok to weld the exel and the

From: Asi Hakmon (asi@navicula.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 14:17:50 EST

    Dear friends
    That was my firs time writing into this forum, and my English (especially technical stuff) is not great.
    I am sorry I wasn't so clear about my question, so I will try again.

    I have a 1996 tdi300 110 defender, I was experiencing some freedom in the dive chain, so I when to my mechanic and he told me that the half shaft and the drive flange in the rear axial.
    So I hade two options:
    To replace them (in Israel there are lots of taxes and the salary are not so high compare to many other places in the western world) about 300 to 400 US$
    Or to weld them, it is a complicated welding because they are made of two deferent metals, 200 US$

    So I decided on the second option, it was like a dream in the beginning, not even a little freedom in the drive chain, but after a few off-roading trips and a few thousands km I start feeling that the freedom came back, I was thinking maybe the welding fail ,but it didn't, so I went back to the mechanic, he told me that I have a problem in the from differential, we opened it and recalibrated the crone pinion, again it was great, and now it came back again a month after, only one trip less the 1000 km was dune.

    So I wanted to know if maybe there is a reason that the two parts are two parts and not one ??

    Thanks people for the help
    Have a great weekend
    Seeya soon
    Asi