Re: [lro] Defender Axels - is it ok to weld the exel and thedive flange

From: John Cranfield (john.cranfield@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 08:12:16 EST

    The weak part of the Salisbury axle found in series3 109s is the splines
    in the drive flanges. These can strip before the axle itself breaks.
    When this happens the splines on the axle shaft also are damaged. Since
    both parts are ruined anyway I have welded the axle shaft to the flange.
    If it
    breaks it will not be hard to repair with new bits.
    But to answer the original question.
    A weld there will not be likely to damage anything else on the Land
    Rover.
    John and Muddy