Re: [lro] pre-heaters in the US

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 11:29:28 EST

    >Sorry for the cross-post but I think this might be of interest to everyone.
    >
    >Does anyone have any thoughts on why engine pre-heaters don't seem
    >as popular in the US as they do
    >elsewhere?
    >
    >Although several companies (Eberspdcher, Webasto, and Kenlowe) offer
    >pre-heaters, only Webasto and
    >Eberspdcher appear to be represented in the US. According to their
    >web sites, only Webasto offers a
    >pre-heater for petrol vehicles.
    >
    >As everyone knows, it's a little chilly here, so does anyone else
    >find this a little odd?
    >
    >Are they too expensive?

    I suspect it's that gas is too cheap. Modern petrol vehicles will
    start in just about any weather, so you don't really need it for
    starting. (And in those parts of the country where it's routinely
    really cold, electric block heaters are pretty common.) If you're
    too much of a mamsy-pansy to just drive off, you can let the car run
    for a few minutes while it warms up a bit. With US gas prices, that
    doesn't cost too much; if you paid what people in other parts of the
    world did, you might think twice about it.