Re: [lro] Is a Series an SUV?

From: A. Maiolo (rovernut@nc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 08:12:04 EST

    > but surely, that's one of the great things about a Land Rover in that they
    > can do all that rugged stuff and still take the kids to ballet classes?
    > When I get the aggro from colleagues at work about driving that dirty,
    > noisy smelly thing I always reply with 'how many of you lot can drive to
    > work, the theatre, the shops, in your hobby?'

    Sure. It's not a question of whether you *can* or can't successfully use a
    Landy as a bus for the kids, etc. If you can only have one car, then sure, a
    Defender is a pretty handy one to have. Strangely, they are remarkable city
    cars too, what with all of the potholes, people driving like a**holes...
    My point is that for someone like me, who drives over 30,000 miles a year, a
    Defender is a bad choice as a daily driver. If I drove half that, it could
    still be argued that keeping a Honda or something like it as a spare would
    probably pay for itself.
    Yes, Landies are truly remarkable in that they can do nearly anything, but
    90% of that "anything" doesn't get used by someone like me, or most people
    who don't own farms or hunting lodges, on a daily basis, so I feel like it's
    a pretty responsible thing for me to have a daily driver. My LR still gets
    plenty of drive time after 5pm, on weekends, the odd low milage weekday, and
    (more recently) when we get snow. I love driving and look for any excuse. I
    certainly would drive her if my Sunday involved picking up an appliance (or
    lumber, dogs, etc). That's about 30% of the reason I own one.
    Given the choice of only one car in the driveway? I would pick a Landy, but
    I'm glad I have the driveway space for an economy runabout - a runabout that
    has hauled Land Rover heads to the machinist to get reworked, mind you ;^)

    Best Regards,
    Alex Maiolo
    Chapel Hill NC