Re: [lro] Is a Series an SUV?

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 22:42:41 EST

    Alan J. Richer wrote
    >Like the DC-3, a lot of times the best replacement for an
    >old Land-Rover is another Land-Rover.

    Well I don't know about that. The argument about what the best replacement
    for the DC-3 might be started in an airport shack in East Burma one rainy
    Tuesday afternoon about a week after the second world war ended and the
    Burma Hump pilots were being paid off. The same argument, with no
    interruptions, with many replacements of pontificators and adamant bar
    thumpers, and many more thousands of pounds, litres, and gallons of alcohol
    later is still going on in much poshier pilots' bars to this day.

    I suspect the same argument regarding Series LR's will continue to pop up
    as long as the damned things are around.

    I personally find a close parallel between the Land-Rover <== (that's an
    ajr prompted hyphen) and the DC-3

    A long time ago I spent quite a large number of hours in the front office
    of a variety of DC-3's in the Canadian Arctic. In fact, one of the very
    planes I used to fly is parked outside the Calgary Air Museum as an exhibit
    and that sometimes makes me feel so old I wonder whether I shouldn't be
    bunged full of straw and propped up in a diorama at the National Museum of
    Man (or civilization as the pol-corr crowd have renamed it)

    Anyway. It is uncanny to be how closely the two vehicles resemble each
    other.

    Both shake, rattle, and vibrate enough to ruin kidneys for life; they have
    the same stink of hot oil, old leather, and leaky exhaust; neither has a
    heating system worth a good god-damn; the electrics were invented shortly
    after Leyden jars and frog legs twitching were the big thing in
    electronics; both need the care and attention normally devoted to newborns;
    and neither will tolerate a poseur or a dilettante. If you can't put up
    with all the discomfort and frustration then you have no right to be in either.

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO

    Calgary Alberta