[lro] Symptom returns

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 23:37:15 EST

I just got back from holidays back home in the philippines, to find some old
symptoms had returned to my 3.9 V8. It stalled and died, so I remember
Teri-Ann's advice that it is the ignition, and specifically the coil causing
trouble, so off to NAPA. The "+" terminal had "smoke-marks" around it, as if
it was letting out smoke, which I guess it was.

They gave me a generic looking coil, with a printed notice on it: Not for
use with resistor systems. So I installed it without connecting the resistor
doodad to the coil terminal, like it was on the last coil.

Car started just fine and runs well again (Thanks for the tip, Teri-Ann! I
always check the coil now, so much easier than my last endeavour of changing
fuel filters and fuel pump, and costs a ton less too).

Now, lately, it has developed a slow-to-start thing. It turns over fast, but
doesn't catch... Used to spin twice and fire right up, but now, it kinda
spins and spins and sometimes it will only fire up on the second or third
go.

I bet it has to do with that generic coil.

Anyone know what kind of coil I should look for? One I can get from NAPA or
other parts house would be the best.

I mean, isn't a coil a coil? Shouldn't a V8 coil from a similarly ignited
engine do the trick? How bespoke are these things?

--pat.