Re: [lro] special tool

From: jimfoo (jimfoo@purplemountain.net)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 11:43:37 EST

    I got tired of losing tabs and having loose nuts also. I ended up making
    a custom split lockwasher from a 3/4" lockwasher and haven't had
    problems since, even after filling the tranny with grinding compound
    from the mudhole I was in for far too long, the washer was holding even
    with the slop that developed. I just had to grind it thinner and I think
    enlarge the hole a tiny bit. I also sharpened the ends so it would dig
    in good. I did make a washer similar to the stock lockwasher, but only
    with the tabs that locate into the shaft. That way the lockwasher isn't
    trying to dig into the hardened shaft. A stock washer that still has
    those tabs could probably be used for this purpose. Mine had broken
    there which is why I made one.

    --
    Jim Hall
    1966 88" Elephant Chaser