[lro] Transfer Case

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 02:50:03 EST

    JL, its no consolation but I also had a transfer case disaster, in this case
    my own fault. The oil level got too low and the caged bearings inside the big
    gear whose name escapes me (intermediate gear?) seized up and disintegrated.
    The big metal cylinder then started rotating after shearing off the tab on the
    back of the case. I was going about 55 when this first happened. As I was on
    an expressway with no trouble lanes I just kept going. I popped up the cover
    at one point and observed the shaft sticking out the back a few inches as it
    rotated. I was actually able to travel about another 30 miles to safety. The
    pity was that I had already received my Ashcroft case, so if this didn't
    happen I would have had a nice working spare transfer case and gear set. Now I
    have a nice big aluminum paperweight. At least its not cracked. I have found
    it pretty easy to remove and replace the transfer case separately.

    John
    Bangkok
    1975 SIII 109 2.25 Petrol