[lro] ACME Transfer case.

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 21:12:46 EST

    So, our intrepid character (J-L/Wile E. Coyote) is barrelling down a country
    road, after having picked up some new bucket seats, and, a small ticking
    noise develops. Hmm.

    He ignores it. He presses on. Then, instantaneously, a loud bang is heard,
    as well as the sound of the front driveshaft banging against the bellhousing
    and the chassis spinning at about 3000 rpms. The smell of burning gear oil
    engulfs the vehicle.

    Our character stops by the roadside, and looks under to see about three
    litres (contents of the T case) pouring out onto the road, and the exhaust.
    Upon closer inspection, the transfer case casting is cracked right in half,
    and the front end is hanging loose, supported by the Hi-lo shift rod only.
    The 1/2 wide gap in the casting is almost perfectly straight, all the way
    around the nose of the T case (the bolted on removable part on the front,
    for the front wheel drive).

    This would be kind of funny, the cold, the gear oil, the Land-Rover, and our
    character, whose facial expression would drop like only Mr. Coyote's can,
    when he sees the gaping crack and the leaking black goo.

    Those driveshaft bolts were Grade 8 with Stover locknuts, with red locktite
    on them. I still can't understand why they loosened. Either that, or the
    bearings on the T case siezed and they locked up completely. I was in 2wd,
    but I have always engaged drive flanges, no freewheeling hubs.

    Today...

    I learned that the mother board on my Laptop is fried, Compaq wants 1600$
    canadian for a new one.
    My snowboarding buddy cancelled our night riding trip.
    I got my tax papers.
    Valdez exploded again.

    J-L