[lro] Heat!

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 01:52:21 EST

    Sometime ago, we discussed adding a heater to a land-rover. I've
    used the one I've built enough to report on it. What I've got is the
    core from a late '70's Dodge full-size truck($10 for two, in case one
    leaks), the blower motor and part of the housing from a '92 ford
    Explorer($25), and various examples of my less-than-expert sheet
    metal work(done from scrap lying around). The core is in a
    five-sided box tucked under the passanger side footwell. The missing
    side is against the top of the foot well, and allows the blower to
    blow air through it; the front is screwed on, with a 2" slot at the
    bottom to direct the airflow at the passenger's knees. The blower
    housing was modified (with a hacksaw and some fiberglass) to allow
    the motor to be turned 90 degrees from the way it faced in the donor
    truck, and is attached to an L-shaped sheet metal bracket. Various
    bits of bolts, angle iron, and so on hold everything in place, a few
    bits of wire power the blower. I've not yet fitted a heater control
    valve. Well, I've got the valve (inline thing from the donor dodge),
    but no control cable connected to it; I plan to use a bike friction
    shifter and cable, but that will wait for warm weather. The stock
    Smith's shin-burner is plumbed in series after the Scheidt Mk. III.

    I'm very pleased with it for the most part. Hot air leaving the
    heater is about 130 F with the engine at operating temperature of
    190F, and the fan on high, 20 degrees or so hotter with the fan on
    low; air leaving the Smith's is about 125 F. Tonight 30 minutes of
    driving in 15 F weather with both heaters on high from when they
    started putting out heat resulted in a passenger floormat temperature
    of 90 F; a dashboard surface temperature of 80ish F; the headliner
    above the front middle seat was at 68 F, above the second row middle
    seat, 63 F, and just forward of the rear door, 57 F. I only measure
    air temperatures at the front passenger seat 95 F; my ignition
    switch, 85ish F; and the second row middle passenger seat, 80 F. The
    109 has decent door and scuttle seals, I've made laminated floor mats
    (stock rubber mats bonded to rubber roofing membrane), and I've
    insulated the door panels -- for that, I used what amounts to
    aluminum foil sandwiching plastic bubble wrap. It's invisible where
    I've got door trim, and one the front doors, which don't have the
    trim, provides a groovy disco atmosphere. (This really makes a
    difference -- the parts of the door skin that have the insulation
    were about 10 F above ambient temp; the parts without it 35 F above.)

    I need to do something about a heater control valve control, a better
    choice in blower resistors, and rig some way to direct the air flow
    out of the heater.