Re: [lro] adding alpine windows to hard top...

From: Winn Bearden (wbearden@americus.net)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 15:13:44 EST

    It's funny that this thread came up at this time. Last weekend I went to
    put the alpine windows in the 110. My old top was early 80's and the new
    top was a brand new take-off. The damn glass just would not go in! I
    called Steve Johnson and asked him if they changed the glass. He said that
    a few years ago, a guy busted out one of his d-90 glasses and needed
    another. So Steve pulled one out of an old 109 and sent it to him. The guy
    sent it back saying that it was a half- inch too long!!! I guess they
    changed the dimensions of the glass sometimes in the 80's -90's. So ... out
    with the Dremel. Even with a half- inch longer hole it took me three hours
    per glass to get them in. I think that the whole hole should have bigger.
    Why the hell Rover had to change something as insignificant as the size of
    the alpine glass? I've run into crap like this ever since I decided to make
    the body the same vintage as the chassis/drivetrain. Crap like moving the
    300 Tdi drivetrain 2 inches foward compared to the 200 Tdi. My nice new
    insulated fiberglass tunnel cover won't fit without cutting out the
    gearshift hole and re-fiberglassing it into the correct position. What
    really got me (and my wallet) was the amount of stuff that was handed when
    one part could have worked for both LHD/RHD.

    Winn