RE: [lro] Camel Trophy Watch Spares

From: Todd Schlemmer (nullman@centurytel.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 12:22:09 EST

    During CT '91, there was a 110 charged with carrying all the needed bits for
    the watches: batteries, straps, buckles, crystals etc. They even had a
    factory-trained jeweler to direct the participants in the mainenance and
    repair of their Camel Trophy timepieces. Mostly, though, they dealt with
    problems with eyeglasses and wedding rings.

    Seriously though, we packed up the whole famn damily several summers ago
    (one child ago) for a trek to the new European Union. We spent some lovely
    time in Provence until the little one got a 45 degree fever. We retreated
    to a luxo air-conditioned hotel in Cannes for a brief convalescence. I had
    left the wristwatch at home, planning to buy a souvenir to tell time. I'd
    seen the CT watches at Schipol in Amsterdam and this was what I wanted.
    While Kjel ate antibiotics and rested in the comfort of the hotel with Mom,
    Alec and I went to find a CT watch. I found a jewelry store not far away
    that had a large novelty watch inventory. Very chi-chi place; lotsa
    diamonds, and security. They buzzed you in but kept you waiting until
    someone left so there would not be too many people in the store at one time.
    In Tarzan-French, I explained that I was interested in a Camel Trophy watch.
    I tried one on - too small around the wrist. I tried another - same thing.
    Every watch I tried, whether leather or metal band, was too small for my
    wrist. I don't know if this was some artifact of the intended local market,
    smaller Europeans, not us lumbering corn-fed Americans, or if CT watches are
    too small everywhere. Again, I labored to communicate as I asked if they
    had extra links to put in the metal watch bands. Alas, no, but we can
    replace the band with something different and larger, I was told. Will take
    two days. Groan. Fine. He measured my wrist while I bought a Tintin watch
    for Alec. I gave the jeweler some information about where I was staying and
    then consoled myself with a Cafe Au Lait by the yacht basin.

    Some time passes - two days actually. I visit the jeweler to collect my
    expedition timepiece, only to be told they cannot find anything large
    enough, and will have to make something. I am leaving for Italy this
    afternoon, and they better darn hurry. No problem. I pack up the Opel
    minivan (that's another story - I want two of those), and trot over to the
    shop to get my CT watch. The solution I am presented with makes me want to
    both laugh and cry. Gone is the slick CT metal band, replaced with a (I am
    sure) some foo-foo French designer band, alternating brushed and shiny
    stainless, with a swoopy logo that is someone's monogram. Camel Trophy
    watches have a cool little clip that fits over the watchband at the
    connection to the watch and this incongruously is fitted on this band. The
    clasp looks funny and closer examination reveals that they have used part of
    a clasp from another watch band (slightly narrower) and a short portion of
    yet another watch band to join and lengthen the original by a couple of cm.
    The sheen of epoxy gives away the secret for the rigidity of this
    arrangement. I couldn't ask for a more CT solution to the problem. Its
    perfect.

    My only regret is the open border to Italy where I hoped to flash my rare
    and dangerous watch in the face of the customs official. The Opel is
    looking pretty CT too - It has piles of bags on the roof and I had got it
    stuck in a small alley in a small town in Provence and smacked up the rear
    quarter - ALWAYS get the insurance on the rental. There's six of us in the
    van and we cruise into Italy at 160 KPH, but I am far away, driving through
    mud and swatting biting flies and eating strange local foods.

    Anyway thanks for the memory...

    Todd