[lro] Sometimes you should leave well-enough alone

From: Christopher Dow (dow@thelen.org)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 20:11:18 EST

    I ordered a new Otter switch for the Cold Start lamp on the dash board.
     Since the old one was dead, I set up the circuit so that the choke
    lever just turned on the lamp, but I wanted it to light up when the
    engine was warm.

    This morning, I pulled the old one out and set about puting int the new
    one. Guess what? The gasket didn't fit the new part. So I looked at
    the setup, and figured that what I recieved was really the guts of the
    Otter switch, and I needed to remove the guts from the bulb that goes
    into the head and replace them with the new setup. I carefully
    disassembled the old switch and try to put the new "guts" in the old
    bulb. No such luck. No problem. I'll put the old part back in because
    at least it keeps the coolant in the head. As I'm tightening down the
    (old) bolt to affix the switch in the head, it breaks off. Now, I have
    to drill that out and still figure a way to get the switch in.

    Sigh,