Re: [lro] DELCO Wiring Question

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 20:18:20 EST

    --- Peter & Julie Rosvall <rosvall@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > Hello All:
    >
    > Can the #1 or "R" Terminal on the typical DELCO 10SI
    > Alternator also be used
    > to run a tachometer?

    No - that is a current sink that requires a connection to
    12 volts on the other end.

    > If so, how must it be wired? Can it
    > be used to run both
    > a warning light and a tach? This is for a diesel
    > application so I can't hook
    > to the coil as I previously had it wired...

    Simple fix - modify the alternator by tapping a wire onto
    one of the diodes. This will give you an AC signal that
    will run a tachometer. This is exactly the way the tach on
    a Range Rover is set up.

    You will, however, have to adjust the tach (if possible) to
    display the proper speed. many tachomters of recent
    manufacture can be adjusted this way. Reason you need the
    adjustment is because one pulse from the alternator is not
    going to equal one revolution - more likely 3 or 4 pulses
    or more depending on pulley sizes and the like.

    If you feel uncomfortable doing the modification, take it
    to an auto electric place. Five bucks will likely get it
    done for you....heck, if you were closer 2 minutes on my
    bench would get it done.

              ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://mailplus.yahoo.com