Re: [lro] IIA Series Battery Configuration

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 18:27:27 EST

    > > Now, no. No reason not to go with a high-capacity 12-volt
    >> battery. Or do what I did when I first had my Diesel - two
    >> 12-volt batteries in parallel. You wanna talk amp-hours....<grin>
    >
    >Urrghh...
    >
    >Speaking of batteries and other volt related gizmos...
    >
    >I've got two batteries. One is under the bonnet in the standard spot. The
    >other is in the spare well in the rear tub. They are in parallel for mucho
    >CCA, tied together by -2/0 welding cable. Between the winch, the lights, the
    >stereo (two smallish amplifiers and a CD player) and the twin heater motors,
    >there is quite a lot of draw.
    >
    >This is the problem. The alternator doesn't put out enough amps to keep
    >everything happy if I'm not driving at speed (2500 rpms). When everything is
    >on and I am idling, I can see the lights dim, and as soon as I hit the gas
    >everything is happy. Trying to use the winch and the off-road lights at the
    >same time causes a major voltage drop.
    >
    >So, I have to "build" a larger alternator, or boost the output of the
    >current one. it is a delco 63 amp alternator from an 81 delta 88 or
    >something. I've seen the 100 amp+ rebuild kits that boost the output of a
    >Delco alternator. What I'm worried about is reliability. It seems that
    >almost doubling the alternators' output might be a tad hard on the thing.
    >I've heard that these alternators aren't as durable as the lower output
    >ones. Should I be worried? I've seen Delco marine alternators rated for 130

    J-L, consider getting a 12SI alternator. It's physically the same
    size as the 10SI. It's got a more efficent fan (centrifugal, instead
    of blades) and a bigger air vent on the back of the case. The big
    plus is that it's available as a 94 A package. I've got a delco
    number of 321-266; but I don't know what the application for that
    number is. GM used the 12SI from about 83 to 88. I'd suspect the
    high-output was used on full-sized things with heavy-duty options
    (think police package caprices, caddies, high-performance
    camaros...). The pulley from a 10Si will fit a 12Si, if you've got a
    strange setup (or get one from a junkyard that doesn't match).

    I don't know how fast your engine revs, but if it's not too high, a
    smaller alternator pulley or larger crank pulley will speed the
    alternator up, resulting at higher output at idle.

    David